1.04.2011

Raising Helen

I am currently in a series of posts that involve children I know. Children that, I believe, have the world deserve to know their story. The world deserves to know who they are, because the world would be changed by them. These are students in China, currently 16 and 17 years old. Students who have never left the mountain range in which they live. Children who have dreams and passionate hearts, just like the rest of us.

Helen is the student that I wish to highlight this time around. She wasn't the brightest student in the classroom, in fact her face was most often a rosy shade of pink because she frequently blushed when speaking English. I was even hesitant to call on her for the embarrassment she would seem to display (I got over that real quickly though. I soon found myself having the most fun embarrassing the quiet students). Helen was meek and mild, and not the most popular amongst her peers, Helen holds a special place for me. Helen was a passionate student, and passion was something that wasn't in the eyes of every student.She was a very lovable person and expressed love openly.

It is in Chinese culture to be very touchy with those of your same gender. Walking down the street holding hands or giving piggy back rides is very common among students. Touching is a sign of friendship. This is something that we were prepped about before arriving. I had come to my second week and found myself slightly discouraged that my students hadn't yet been comfortable in giving me a hug, or holding my hand. Helen was the first to "break the spell". I found myself engaged in a conversation with her, and before I knew it, both of my hands were clutched in hers and passion and excitement bubbled out of her eyes. From that point on, Helen was my hugger, most often attached at my hip, and looking at me with love in her eyes.

Perhaps one of my favorite days teaching was the day we taught about South Africa. Our curriculum was beautiful in that every day we focused on a different country and learned about customs, language and focused on "Our World: United". South Africa just so happens to be a country that I am also passionate about, so I took the opportunity to teach my students a song from the country, entitled Njalo. Little did I know that this song would soon be a favorite among my Chinese students, and we would find ourselves singing it as we walked across the courtyard, or as we walked to lunch. Helen was entranced by singing in class, and always an active participant for whatever crazy Miss Kayla was doing. During our day on South Africa, I saw it inevitable to teach about apartheid. Although this was not a part of the curriculum, I took some time to explain apartheid to my students. They were completely clueless in regards to this part of the nations history, many of them appalled that a nation would have such segregation and hatred. And, although they couldn't express themselves in English, it was clear by the looks on their faces that they had learned, and that they were impacted.



We spent another day discussing the nation of India and focused on the abundant population of poor people that are in that country. We had a "special guest" visit our room, and the students were able to meet Mother Theresa in person (aka, Miss Stephanie). During this lesson day we also had the opportunity to discuss what goals and ambitions were, and what our students wanted to be when they 'grew up'. I distinctly remember Helen rising to share with tears in her eyes, saying that when she grows up she is going to travel to India to help the poor people, just like Mother Theresa. Throughout the course of our China adventure, she would remind me of the poor people of India, and all the help that is needed there.  This touched my heart hard core, knowing that these students themselves were all poverty stricken- yet they refused to see themselves that way. Instead some had a desire to help those who were in worse conditions than their own. That is compassion, and that is love, and that is something you don't see everyday.

I was able to pull a sample of Helen's writing to share. Being the collector that I am I have various stacks of memories from my past summer. Somewhere there are writing samples that I took the first day of camp, and I wish so terribly that I could find them. I wish that I could demonstrate the improvement that this summer camp provided for these students. Nonetheless, the following is a reflection done by Helen about her favorite memory of Summer Camp.

"Time goes by. I'm very happy during these days. I have learned a lot. So I'm grateful to all of you. I very like Miss Kayla's class and listening she sing songs. I love Miss Bennett's games. especially during the classes when we were tired. I like all dances Miss Bennett, Miss Stephanie, Miss Liu, and Miss Jane, and Miss Kayla taught us.I love all kinds of activities you taught us. I also like the American birthday and we learn lot of about it. If we had enough time, I wanted to stay with you all the time. Finally thank you for teaching us a lot. I best wishes you. Happy every day and all the best. I love all of you.
-Helen."


I hope with all my heart that I one day will turn on the CBS Evening news to find Helen in India, to find her helping others. I hope and pray that she follows her heart and loves the world with all the passion that's bundled up inside her.

-康女

No comments:

Post a Comment