4.30.2011

A Creation

Oh the thinks you can think, think and wonder and dream far and wide as you dare! When your thinks have run dry, in the blink of an eye, there's another think there!

Perhaps one of my favorite philosophers ever is Dr. Seuss. My favorite creations of all time are those that are timeless. Dr. Seuss is a master at creating these wonderful diddys that kids love and adore, yet they actually challenge and inspire an adult audience. I recently had a Dr. Seuss book read to me and I began to cry as I thought about how all of the language, full of odds and ends, real words and not-so-real-words communicated to every soul that was present.

It shouldn’t be a secret. I love to create things. I have art projects from sixth grade still hanging up in my bedroom at home. I still have crushed flowers from a walk I took in middle school in a dresser drawer, crushed under magazines, waiting to be used for the right ‘project’. Sometimes for fun I just wander through Michael's and A.C. Moore Craft stores just to feel the inspiration that is leaked into the air (usually these outings are not good for my wallet). We as humans are constantly creating. I know that for me I don’t feel fulfilled if I’m not creating, cooking, drawing, building, expressing something. We were meant to be expressive people, we were created this way, perhaps because we as people were created. 
I myself am a creation; continually in the works, never to be fully completed or fully perfected until death. Weird, right? What kind of creation is never-finished? If I was an investment, I would be a terrible one because I would never become fully profitable.
Humans are the most complex things ever. Think about it. We got these genetics, personalities, neurons that connect things, and all these things like diseases and fire that can really screw us up {perhaps I have this fear of being burned alive…no biggie}. We are such high risks, us humans. Imagine now if you were given an assignment that entailed working on one project for your entire life; from the age of two until you die. It can be a canvas, a sculpture, a garden. What are the chances that some frustration would come along the way, some feelings of wanting to give up? Feelings of anxiety, of just wanting to be done? Now imagine that ‘project’ being you. A person, a human with all your complexities, risks, and the trickiest part of all…your free will and choice (there could be a whole nother blog post about free will vs. predestination and yadda yadda… I don’t have time for that today). For a large part of my life, this is how I viewed the world. I was a project, and I was my own project. I've spent a lot of time in trying to fix who I was, and as predicted there were many doubts, frustrations, and days of wanting to give up and quit along the way. I wanted to be this way, all the time and would hold these expectations that would continually allow me to fall under the category of “epic fail”. Newsflash: I realized that I am not my own creation. Yes, I have choices, but I didn’t make me. It takes quite a load off once the fullness of that statement is embodied. I have a Creator who is not going to get tired of me, tired of His projects. He's not giving up or ever walking away...something I continually did. We are each a canvas, project, each of a different style, color, and medium (some of us watercolors, oil paints, clay, fabrics). I can only imagine how overwhelmed I'm going to be when I get to see the Gallery.

To now live  knowing and accepting that I am a process, not a masterpiece is a very different take on life. I will never be a masterpiece because a masterpiece involves a finished product. I can only be fitted for life where I am in the process. What's to live for when you're perfect?

As far as personalities are concerned, I am an INFJ (in-if-juh if you try to read it as a word), and a hardcore one at that. If you have no idea what I am talking about, that is absolutely ok. If you’re interested in knowing and being a part, I encourage you to take a Myers-Briggs personality test here. For those of you who know your Myers Briggs, what are you? Who have you been created to be? 


{I know, it's kind of an oldie, and can be interpreted on several levels, but this song is exactly what I needed to hear when I needed it. Perhaps maybe you do too.}

Creation (noun)
1. the act of producing or causing to exist; the act of creating;  engendering.
2. the fact of being created.
3. something that is or has been created.

No comments:

Post a Comment