10.13.2012

Judgement Day

I think I've already confessed this on here but for the sake of today's story I'll restate the facts.  As a child I would slowly make my way up and down every isle of the school library, judging books by their cover. Oh the shame! But it's true! It had to have a lot of color to capture my attention. Usually the protagonist had to be a girl (but boys were sometimes acceptable...sometimes). The text couldn't be too big, as I was an avid reader and didn't want to be considered a cheater. Chapter books were best. If it had anything to do with abandoned children or someone getting kidnapped that also earned the book some points [weird criteria, I know]. Any swirls or funky writing would seal the deal and that puppy would be in my backpack to be read at home.

As I've grown older this lesson has come to be more inclusive than just books. 
  • Don't judge an outfit by how it looks on a hanger. 
  • Don't judge the taste of the food by how it looks or smells.
  • Don't judge a house until you've seen the inside.
  • Don't judge a couch until you sit on it.
  • Don't judge a device just by the name brands (or lack there of).
  • Don't judge a guy by...well... I'm still learning that one. I'll get back to you.

Today, another one hit me in the face. More so, it scalded my taste buds.  You see, upon my arrival to America I was astonished that there were other flavors of tea. China has green tea, and more green tea, so seeing the vast array of berries and spices and teas of the rainbow before me in the grocery isle I was a very happy camper and decided to try a few boxes for my sampling. As the temperatures have decided to take a turn for the worse, I decided to wrap myself up in a few sweatshirts and blankets [no joke, we haven't turned on the heat yet] and make myself a cup of tea. I busted out the box that sounded as though it was going to be the most satisfying. Madagascar Vanilla: come on, does that not just sound delightful? It even had a royal lion perusing the box. The title is adventurous, bold, and leads one down exciting mental trails of happiness to come.

I opened the box, and a great aroma filled the surrounding area. I boiled the water and let the tea soak through the hot liquid and I used the mug to warm my hands. Everything was perfect until I tasted it. Yea... not so good.

Just so you know, there is no resolution to this story. It just wasn't good. I mean, I'll drink it anyway because I spent three dollars on the box of tea (or was it two-fifty?) but I thought I would just tell you as a public service announcement. 
Good friends don't let friends drink bad tea.

2 comments:

  1. I am the same way about my books! People will always say don't judge a book by its cover, but at the same time--first impressions are important.

    (I found you on 20SB, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! First of all Im so glad that theres someone out there like me :P

      And Im glad you found me. Feel free to stick around.. Im sure we have a lot more in common.

      Delete