10.15.2011

Heart Strings

I have a degree in music education. I have a TEFL certificate. Within a matter of years I will be certified to be a k-12 school counselor. I can teach music, teach english, and counsel. There is no reason why I shouldn't have a job somewhere in some school system. Yet, when I think about my life the thought of teaching in a school is slightly appalling. Sorry--the vision of me doing so just isn't there. Nothing about me has ever been easy, it's never been simple. Why would obtaining a degree and getting a job be any different?

With all these certifications, with all these different outlets, there is still a type of student that takes the prize.

Students with developmental disabilities have a natural capability to break me. During the fall of 2010 we had to observe some music classrooms for a class I was taking. My group was assigned to a local elementary school at which we observed a stellar music teacher with various classes. One of these classes was a special needs class. Eight students, seven adults. At the end of class we played a Bugaboo dance game and we [as the observers] were able to dance with them.

I honestly can't give you any more details about the observation, simply because I can't remember them. What do I remember? Dancing. Twirling. Giggling.

The video below sparked my memory. Then I decided to share.


No comments:

Post a Comment